Is there a phrase in Ukrainian that has a similar meaning?

Google Translate gives me following: Ти маєш рацію and Ти правий

Is there any difference between them? Which one is preferable? Any alternatives?

Ohh, that's interesting question. The fact is that O. Ponomariv claims that it's Russianism and wrong to say "ти правий" in meaning "you are correct". Still, O. Ponomariv seems to be wrong here; it can be easily proven by finding usages of "правий" in classical Ukrainian literature; despite all my respect to Ponomariv, sometimes he acts as hyper-purist. So, IMHO, the practical difference appears that "ти правий"∈{"you're right [correct]", "you're right [not left]"}, "ти маєш рацію"∈{"you're correct", "you have a radio set"}. – Sasha Mar 11 '17 at 1:18
  • Although that opinion of O. Ponomariv is worth a separate Ukrainian discussion. Maybe I'm wrong in my claims that he acts as hyper-purist here. – Sasha Mar 11 '17 at 1:18

Ти правий literally means "you are правий". Правий, according to the academic explanatory “Dictionary of the Ukrainian language” in 11 volumes (a.k.a. СУМ-11), has the following meanings:

So, ignoring all rare and non-applicable meanings, ти правий means "you are right/correct", "you are just/fair-minded/even-handed" or "you have no guilt". While some linguists say that the last two meanings are preferred, still it's widely used as "you are right/correct".

Ти маєш рацію literally means "you have рація". Рація, according to the same dictionary, has the following meanings:

• "Rationale, reasoning, calculation". Especially in phrases like мати рацію (literally "to have рація", effectively "to be correct/rational, to say/do reasoned things"), визнавати чиюсь рацію ("to accept somebody's rationale"), etc.
  • "A hand-held transceiver, walkie-talkie". A Soviet-time contraction of радіостанція ("a radio set"). Probably, is less used within the phrases that are commonly used for previous meaning — and actually Ukrainians seem to tend to say more often в X є Y ("in X's ownership, there is Y") about corporeal things rather than literally "X has Y" (X має Y) — but still theoretically can be used in phrases typical for previous meaning (like мати рацію) too (especially by speakers with Russian background, not aware of previous meaning and thus not feeling the problem).
  • (Very obsolete) "salutatory, felicitation, congratulations".

Therefore, ignoring obsolete meanings, ти маєш рацію can mean "you're right [your thoughts/actions are correct/rational]" or "you have a hand-held transceiver (walkie-talkie)".

Another variants are:

• Твоя правда (literally: "your truth").
  • Твоя думка слушна ("your opinion is relevant/correct"), твої слова слушні ("your words are relevant/correct"), ти кажеш слушно ("you say relevant things / correctly").

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.