I have noticed that in Ukrainian two words represent the word 'and' in English. Is there any rule that explains when to use і and when to use ТА?

2 Answers 2

I and TA are synonyms and usualy mean AND but they aren't quite the same. I tends to connect equal things or events which can be any member of the sentence or any clause. (AND) Я люблю яблука і груші. - I like apples and pears (simultaneously). TA is mostly about adding something extra. There is a main thing or event and there is additional one which joins the main. (ALSO) Я люблю яблука та груші. - I like apples and (also) pears (but I prefer apples). Besides TA can join the information that is opposite but I cannot. (BUT) Я люблю яблука, та наразі вони скінчилися. - I like apples but they've just ended. But I can be doubled unlike TA which can't. (BOTH... AND...) Я люблю і яблука, і груші. - I like both apples and pears.

• This answer is very on point, I would just like to add to the first example that it is also perfectly fine to use ТА with equal things: "я люблю яблука та груші" can mean "I like apples and pears (no preference)" and in speech the listener would rarely try to catch any inequality between objects. So, in reality if you were to emphasize that apples are your preference, you'd rather use "я люблю яблука, а також груші", which would now directly translate to "I like apples and also pears".
    – scadge
    Apr 4 at 7:14

Word I and TA, as well as Й have the same meaning and are used to avoid tautology. In some dialects and internet culture ТА can also mean YES (as short for TAK).

• ТА can also mean BUT. I.e. it has two (or three) meanings: AND, BUT (and also YES in some dialects).
    – Sasha
    Feb 11 at 7:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.