Wiktionary shows both forms as the infinitive. And I can find examples of both in context on Reversio, but I can't seem to see a theme that defines which one to use when. Is there a grammatical rule here? Or is it a "sounds better" situation and I am still not hearing that difference? Or something else?

1 Answer 1

Is there a grammatical rule here?

The default one is with -ти, therefore if you search any verb then you use only this form. If we speak about any rule then you may check the [current] standard spelling:

§ 118. Неозначена форма дієслова (інфінітив)

Неозначена форма дієслова закінчується на -ти: гли́бшати, годува́ти, ду́мати, жи́ти, ки́нути, лі́зти, мандрува́ти, нести́, пекти́, пекти́ся (пекти́сь), ревти́, розумі́ти, стоя́ти, ходи́ти, хоті́ти.

Примітка 1. В усному мовленні, а часом і в художньому стилі вживають також і форму інфінітива на -ть, коли основа дієслова закінчується на голосний: брать, каза́ть, ки́нуть, терпі́ть, ходи́ть.

The rule basically says: -ти is only one, but you can meet -ть in colloquial and writing styles if itʼs after any vowel.

Or is it a "sounds better" situation

Yes, itʼs phonesthetics. ~[vowel]ть + the next word starts with a vowel or -ти + the word with consonant. Itʼs like English a ~ an or how you pronounce the with the next word.

Why this pair? The и which was the same as і — a «soft» vowel — sometimes changes to ь. So, you just remove a vowel but no the soft-status. Not only here, for compare, imperative verbs have the similar scheme: ходи ~ ходь. But not always, кинь cannʼt be reverted into кини, but the verb is «non-standard» itself. Kinda the same pattern is with о ~ ø: робимо ~ робим.

But just in case, if it isnʼt about any test or exam then you can just ingore but know about this thing, and use the main forms as -ти, -мо etc.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.