One more question based on a Duolingo sentence that looked wrong to me. How would you normally say "he won the election"? Which of those are correct?

1. Він переміг вибори (this is what Duolingo says)
  2. Він виграв вибори
  3. Він переміг у/на виборах
  4. any other options I'm missing?

My Polish-based intuition says that 2 and 3 are fine but 1 isn't, but I'm not at all sure. So, is 1 an okay sentence, or if not, why not? Do виграти and перемогти work differently, and if so, why/how?

Yes, the first is incorrect.
    – oleedd
    Commented Feb 9, 2023 at 22:06

3 Answers 3

Sadly, in this case I canʼt help with Polish examples. But English can help us with words such as win and beat for correspondingly виграти and перемогти.

Collins

1. win

If you win a war, fight, game, or contest, you defeat your opponent. We won the game easily. The party had won a great victory.

2. defeat and beat

Donʼt say that someone wins an enemy or opponent. In a war or battle, you say that one side defeats the other. The French defeated the English troops.

In a game or contest, you say that one person or side defeats or beats the other. He defeated his rival in the semi-finals and went on to win the tournament. She beat him at chess.

Questioneress

Do виграти and перемогти work differently, and if so, why/how?

Thatʼs why we can say only виграти приз not перемогти приз as win a prize. Therefore the most correct way is виграти вибори and перемогти в/на виборах. So, your intuition was right.

But it looks like some semantic shift happens. If we speak about very abstract terms such as вибори, турнір etc then we can use перемогти too like перемогти вибори. This phenomenon affecteds words such as виграш and програш which could be used as correspondingly перемога and поразка too. But be careful here, because something with an abstract or a figurative meaning are usually like a constant expression, therefore it isnʼt am easy theme for non-natives. For example, a non-native from this context may take матч as abstract but thereʼre no such перемогти матч. Therefore better use the mentioned correct way.

Questioneress

any other options I'm missing?

In this case, no, you didnʼt miss. But I can note that such expression as здобути перемогу exists.

I'm adding some statistics to the other answers:

That's a great resource for answering this sort of question, thank you!
    – weronika
    Commented Feb 15, 2023 at 13:40

My Polish-based intuition says that 2 and 3 are fine but 1 isn't, but I'm not at all sure.

Саме так.

1. Він переміг вибори (this is what Duolingo says) - ❌ПОМИЛКОВО
  2. Він виграв вибори - ✅ПРАВИЛЬНО
  3. Він переміг у/на виборах - ✅ПРАВИЛЬНО
  • Згоден, але варто було б спробувати обґрунтувати відповідь.
    – Sasha
    Commented Feb 14, 2023 at 10:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.