The title says it all really. A friend of mine who's also learning Ukrainian says she hears жінка as starting with a softened sound; I always assumed it was a hard sound but now I'm having doubts. Which is it?

If anyone knows Polish, my question is whether it's a ż or a ź. Or which one of ʒ, ʐ, or possibly ʑ it is in the IPA chart.

1 Answer 1

Just in case, I write about only standard orthoepy here, because in other case itʼd be a pretty big article, because i came1 from some different sounds, mostly и (migrated), ѣ and o.

Is ж softened when followed by i?

Yes, but itʼs half-softened2 which means barely softened. So Polish language canʼt help here. The situation is almost the same with IPA because:

«Ukrainian. Illustrations of the IPA» by Bernd Pompino-Marschall, Elena Steriopolo, Marzena Zygis

Adhering to the IPA conventions, here the superscript [ʲ] is used for both palatalized and semi-palatalized consonants.

By the way, ж is [ʒ].

There are no standard of Ukrainian transcription but the language usually differentiates semi- and hard-palatalization by two types of apostrophes or something like this. I use бідність where two different type of consonants before i, and a softening sign:

• [б’і́д`н`іс`т`] — Горох;
  • [б’і́д´н´іс´т´] — Погрібний, where at the beginning of the book you can also read most rules of orthoepy;
  • [б"і́д'н'іс'т'] — you may also notice something like this.

E.g. are the two ж's in жінка, жне different?

Therefore we know thatʼre: [ж"інка] and [жне].

But, I guess, it isnʼt enough because we need some rules for this:

• д, т, з, с, дз, ц, л, н before i are always hard-softened;
  • й always stays the same because the sound is soft itself;
  • the rest are semi-softened; р is debatable, but usually itʼs here;

Thereʼs also an assimilation by palatalization, where usually (which means not always) are:

• a hard-soft group + hard-soft = hard-soft + hard-soft: дня → [д'н'а]
  • a hard-soft group + semi-soft = hard-soft + semi-soft: світ → [с'в"іт] (not necessary).

Notes

1. If youʼre interested in linguistic [history] then you may read about icavism.
  2. In Ukrainian itʼs usually called напівмʼякий or напівпомʼякшений, sometimes частково мʼякий. Maybe thereʼre other variations. And for English itʼs usually semi- or half- + -palatalized or -softened.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.