What's the difference between the words вчити, вчитися, and вивчати? As far as I can tell they all mean "to learn" - are they just synonyms or is there more to it? In particular I don't understand what the ся suffix is doing if it doesn't change the meaning of the word - that seems linguistically confusing...

1 Answer 1

This is one great question! The verb вчити acts as an antagonym (contranym, auto-antonym) — a word that has two different meanings, merely opposite to each other.

• Вчити

• + object-ACCto teach (someone)

я вчу дитину бути доброю — I teach a kid to be kind;

• + object-ACCto study (something)

я вчу українську мову — I study Ukrainian language;

• + object-GENto teach (something)

я вчу української мови — I teach Ukrainian language

• Навчати

• + object-GENto teach (something)

я навчаю української мови — I teach Ukrainian language

• Вчитися, навчатися

• (as a reflexive/intransitive verb) — to study (in general)
    • + a object-DATto learn (something)

Both meanings (reflexive and transitive) present in a famous Shevchenko verse:

Учітесь¹, читайте,
    І чужому научайтесь,
    Й свого не цурайтесь.

Gain knowledge, brothers! Think and read,
    And to your neighbours' gifts pay heed, --
    Yet do not thus neglect your own
    (My Friendly Epistle translated by C.H. Andrusyshen & W. Kirkconnel)

• Вивчати

• + object-ACCto learn, to research (something)

я вивчаю українську мову — I study Ukrainian language
    я вивчаю космос — I research the space.

In particular I don't understand what the ся suffix is doing if it doesn't change the meaning of the word - that seems linguistically confusing...

Generally, the -ся suffix indicates one of the following:

• an action directed to the subject itself (reflexive verb) (митися — to wash oneself);
  • the absence (or the impossibility) of an object of an action;
  • the mutuality of an action (вітатися — to greet; одружуватися — to marry, битися — to fight);
  • subjectless phrases (only an object is specified);
  • words that do not have a form with no -ся (намагатися — to try).

Well, as a language learner you should keep in mind that every language has many exceptions (that may look weird and illogical). I would suggest simply memorize them on a case-by-case basis first. With more practice, the proper form will come to your mind intuitively.

We have a question on this matter here (in Ukrainan),but I'm afraid I'm unable to translate my answer to a decent English. :)

¹) I hope you are already familiar with the у / в euphony.

Great thorough answer, thank you! :) A lot of overlapping options, but you're right that languages are just like that and I'll get used to it with time. (And yes, I knew about the у/в thing although I didn't know what it was called.) Thank you for the other question link too! I will attempt to make my way through the Ukrainian, the practice should do me good. :)
    – weronika
    Jun 6, 2022 at 23:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.