Sometimes I see Як in a sentence. What does it mean? And what does this sentence mean?

• It's Ukrainian language, not Russian. – Dmitry Jan 25 at 14:34
    I'm voting to close this question because Questions that do not demonstrate an attempt to self-answer are off-topic. You can improve it by adding what you have done so far, even if it is incomplete. Also, both «невдобно» and «получилось» are clearly barbarisms; it has nothing to do with Ukrainian language. Voting to move it back to Russian Language. – bytebuster Jan 25 at 15:15
    @bytebuster, it's surzhyk — mixture of Russian and Ukrainian languages. There are different kinds of surzhyk, but it often tends to use Russian lexicon and Ukrainian pronunciation. In this case I personally am an "inclusionist" — I tend to consider surzhyk as a part of Ukrainian, though many may argue with me. – Sasha Jan 25 at 16:06
  • @Sasha, тоїсть, ми тіпєрь всє вапроси, касающієся московського язика, авторітєтним рішенієм щітатимемо вапросами про український суржик, я вас правільна пойняв? :-( – bytebuster Jan 28 at 19:53
    I’m voting to close this question because it fails to show any research effort. – bytebuster Apr 24 at 15:53

It's written in surzhyk and means something like "It is such an awkward situation." Please, don't use it in a real conversation. The correct spelling is "Як незручно вийшло." It can be used when you feel sorry about the situation or in a sarcastic way when you are not actually sorry.

| improve this answer | |

Як means "how".

Невдобно (surzhyk) or незручно (literary Ukrainian) means "inconveniently, uncomfortable" in general (and probably more like "awkwardly, embarrassingly" in this case).

Получатись (surzhyk) or виходити, складатися, ставатися (literary Ukrainian) in this context means "to happen, to turn out":

• получилось, вийшло, склалося, сталося is past tense (something like Past Perfect).

So як невдобно получилось is something like "[oh] how uncomfortable it turned out" or simply "[oh] it's very embarassing", spoken in surzhyk.

AFAIK, this phrase comes from the anecdote about countryside newlyweds: after first intercourse during wedding night the fiance says "Didn't you say that you were a virgin before the wedding?" (implying that it appeared to be not truth) and the bride answers (feigning surprise) "Really?! Did I? Or, it's so embarrassing now" — i.e. it's easy to simulate repentance after you already got what you want in unfair manner.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy