Say, we have a quote:

Ну що б, здавалося, слова…
Слова та голос — більш нічого.
А серце б’ється — ожива,
Як їх почує!.. Знать, од Бога
І голос той, і ті слова
Ідуть меж люди!…

— Т. Шевченко

The punctuation rules say that if I need to skip a part of the quote, I have to use ellipsis:
However, the quoted text has its own ellipsis, so mine would unnecessarily collide with the author's.

What is the accepted way to quote in this case? The result would be:

Ну що б, здавалося, слова…
Слова та голос — більш нічого.
???
Знать, од Бога
І голос той, і ті слова
???

— Т. Шевченко

At the moment, I use it like this […], but I'm not sure if it is grammatical.

I believe that using [...] is the accepted convention in English, though I'm unsure about Ukrainian. – FracturedRetina Feb 20 '17 at 5:38

A good question!

Although I've failed to find the explicit answer to the question in any authoritative sources, there are a couple of minor source which offer <...> (ellipsis in angle brackets) option for:

• скорочуючи цитату, на місці пропуску ставлять три крапки в кутових дужках: <...>

Methodological recommendations to undergraduate's thesis on foreign literature of Kherson State University (link to that is for downloading .doc file)

• Три крапки в кутових (ламаних) дужках <...> у цитованому тексті означають пропуск кількох речень, абзацу чи більше.

Textbook of Kirovograd State Pedagogical University - (Ковтюх С. Л. К 56 Репетитор (як навчитися грамотно писати): Навчальний посібник з практичного курсу української мови. — 2-е вид., випр. й допов. — К.: «ВД «Професіонал», 2007. — 592 с.)

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.