Can you translate "self-loathing" with one or two words in Ukrainian?

There's nothing on e2u.org.ua, yenotes.com, and even on lingvo that I don't trust too much.

Can I translate it as a term and not as "ненависть до себе" (Google shows "самовідчуття", which is clearly wrong (as it is not feeling but loathing) and "ненависть до себе",) as the latter is far too long (6 syllables instead of 4, 3 words instead of 1 or technically 2)?

As I'm actually translating from German (Selbstmitleid), I also tried self-pity, and it's the same:

e2u.org.ua:

жалість до самого себе

lingvo:

жалість до (самого) себе, схильність нарікати на долю

I desperately need something shorter and more precise in translation.

Would "саможаління" or "саможалощі" be a proper Ukrainian word?

• "нитик" на мій погляд підходить якнайкраще. – Alex Sodin Oct 18 '18 at 11:42
  • @AlexSodin я питаю про процес, не про людину, яка перебуває в цьому процесі. До того ж, нити, ниття - не терміни, більш розмовні слова. – P. Vowk Oct 18 '18 at 11:45
  • в такому випадку - "ниття" – Alex Sodin Oct 18 '18 at 16:04

If someone feels self-loathing, they feel great dislike and disgust for themselves. Жалість до самого себе is not the same thing. It means self-pity. As for схильність нарікати на долю, it's not what you are looking for either, because if someone complains a lot, it doesn't mean they feel great dislike and disgust for them selves.

Interestingly, Wikipedia says that Selbstmitleid is self-pity in English and жалость к себе or саможаление in Russian. So, it your original word is Selbstmitleid, I think you can use жалість до самого себе / саможаління.

If you were translating from English and your original word was "self-loathing", I'd suggest ненависть до себе.

• The problem is, I don't see саможаління in sum.in.ua or any other dictionary. How comes? – P. Vowk Oct 18 '18 at 6:00
  • @P.Vovk hm... perhaps, it's considered to be non-standard Ukrainian... I don't see any other explanation. In this case, жалість до самого себе will do the job. – Enguroo Oct 18 '18 at 6:29
  • "жалість до самого себе" is four words, I was looking for sth shorter than that. Would it be all right to use "саможаління"? Αs people do use it on the web, I'm just not sure if it's correct. – P. Vowk Oct 20 '18 at 9:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.