In English I if I want to refer to something specific or non specific I can just do it by adding articles. For example:

I saw a house. (non specific house) = Я бачив дім

Vs.

I saw the house. (Specific house) = Я бачив дім?

What is the way to make such sentence in specific form in Ukrainian language, if any?

It depends on the context. If you want to stress it that you saw this specific house, you might use "цей" ("this") or "той" ("that"). In this case, you would say:

Я бачив цей / той дім. — I saw this / that house.

However, it is true that we don't use definite and indefinite articles (at least not that I have heard of.) So, you will have to use "цей" ("this") or "той" ("that") if you need to stress it.

Other than that, the sentence "Я бачив дім" can mean both "I saw a house," and "I saw the house."

Example 1:

-- Ти колись бачив дім у своєму житті? (Have you ever seen a house in your life?)

-- Так, я бачив дім (Yes, I have seen a house.).

Example 2:

-- Ти бачив дім, про який я казав минулої ночі? (Have you seen the house I was talking about the other night?)

-- Так, я бачив дім (Yes, I have seen the house.).

We sure don't use articles because there are none in the Ukrainian language. – Enguroo Oct 9 '18 at 2:36
  • @Enguroo ain't it right?) – P. Vowk Oct 9 '18 at 7:30
    I agree with the answer. We usually don't use articles. If we want to emphasize a, we say якийсь "some"; if we want to emphasize the, we say цей "this" or той "that". – Sasha Oct 9 '18 at 7:32
  • Also you can use words as вже (already). – stegetsj Oct 11 '18 at 5:38
  • We can also change the word order to put stress on a particular word (тема\рема). – CopperKettle Dec 20 '18 at 19:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.