I am aware (thanks largely to this meta post) that there are several dictionaries online that provide stress, such as:

However, I'd prefer something:

• Machine readable
  • Usable in commercial software
  • Usable offline (such as a large text file like the CMU dictionary is for English)

(Answers that don't meet all these criteria are still welcome as they may be useful to others)

(There may be an answer in the aforementioned meta post, as I was only able to read the English answer, since my Ukrainian is still at a very basic level.

Here is a question about open-data Ukrainian dictionaries (though, sadly for you the question and its answers are in Ukrainian).

In short, the only stuff I know (both are covered in answers to that questions) is:

• Ukrainian Wiktionary. MediaWiki formatting isn't easily parsable, but as you need only stress/pronunciation, it should be enough for you to extract a limited set of patterns from each page (e.g. |склади=до-мі́в-ка and |склади={{склади|слов|ни́к}}) (the largest problem is probably that Ukrainian Wiktionary may rarely contain entries about words in other languages, so you will also need to parse top-level headings to extract |склади= only from sections about Ukrainian words); Wiktionary allows to download all pages in a single dump. The main problem is that as for now it contains not so much words (you can also try to parse Russian and English Wiktionaries — sometimes that contain entries about Ukrainian words that Ukrainian Wiktionary misses — but that probably won't help a lot).

• mhpdict. The problem with that source is that, despite mhpdict provides all of its databases under open licence (ODbL 1.0), the legibility of mhpdict databases themselves is under question: it claimed to be based on the 7-volume Etymological dictionary of the Ukrainian language, while the copyright holders of the 7-volume Etymological dictionary were quite indignant about that and sued (or, at least, were going to sue some time ago) the mhpdict authors.

In general, sadly, Ukraine as for now has quite low level of culture in the field of intellectual property. Most of Ukrainians simply don't understand what's it all about: neither why one can't just take info from anyone else's site, nor why development of open data / free information is beneficial. If your goal is purely self-educational then you could probably just grab data from any of the websites providing stressed Ukrainian words (many of widely-available Ukrainian dictionary sites aren't license-clean themselves; no one would probably sue you unless you openly advertise that fact) — but if you're going to embed it into commercial software and/or need reliable data sources and/or want to do it 100%-right, then just grabbing a random Ukrainian dictionary site is probably not your way.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.