Some languages, such as Spanish, have specific rules for how to form syllables.

I'm writing an app and one of the things I need to do is to find a syllable count of some Ukrainian text. I remember reading that Ukrainian does not have diphthongs so I imagine that it would be close to the number of vowels, but as I understand in Ukrainian consonants can sometimes forms their own syllables. Under what circumstances does this happen?

I don’t remember when it can be, І guess it is only for particle like в (in), й (and), б (kinda would), з (with), ж (kinda but-but). But are they really sillables? I doubt, but I do not have source. – stegetsj Aug 25 '18 at 22:11

I read your question as you are not asking about the whole set of verbalized rules, but you need a software to process it instead. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

In most languages, including Ukrainian, hyphenation occurs on the boundaries between syllables. In other words, the problem of syllabification is equivalent to the problem of hyphenation.

Unless you are an avid developer, linguist, and NLP/ML professional, you don't need developing your own tool for doing that. Take an existing one. A bonus feature is that both algorithms and dictionaries evolve, and you sooner or later get free updates.

There are lots of free/open-source hyphenation libraries existing, including those for Mozilla Firefox, OpenOffice, and others. They are pretty much complicated, and it will take a lot of your effort to develop something similar.

One of such tools is Myspell Hyphenator.

Since nobody can know all languages, the hyphenation libraries use their meta-language for dictionary definitions. Other people who are familiar with individual languages, develop the dictionaries.

One of such dictionaries is Великий електронний словник української мови (ВЕСУМ) distributed under the terms of By-NC-SAA 4.0 license.

Here's an example how the dictionary looks like.

| improve this answer | |
  • I would've also accepted a set of verbalized rules since I do have an interest in linguistics, but thank you for your thorough answer! I'll have to do a bit more research into hyphenation before I come back (my app is commercial so the ВЕСУМ wouldn't be ideal) – FracturedRetina Aug 26 '18 at 14:39
  • Do you know where I might be able to find a machine-readable stress/pronunciation dictionary for Ukrainian? Kinda like the CMU dictionary for English. (Should this be a separate question or is it off-topic?) – FracturedRetina Aug 26 '18 at 18:51
    @FracturedRetina, stress patterns is a quite different problem (than syllabification), so I think it could be a separate question. I'd also like to know if such tools exist. – bytebuster Aug 26 '18 at 18:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.