What is a proper way to express a great gratitude in Ukrainian?

What I mean here is not something you normally say to a cashier at a shop. For that you would use: Дякую or Спасибі

I have heard so far:

• Щиро дякую
  • Вельми дякую - seems to be taken from Polish
  • Велике спасибі - seems to be taken from Russian
  • Дуже дякую
  • Сердечно дякую - seems to be taken from German
  • Дякую від усього серця

EDIT: What I am looking for is a conversational form or direct speech variant. The way you would say it directly to a person you express a gratitude. As per comment - велика подяка doesn't seem to be a direct speech to me.

Всі виглядають нормально, окрім Велике спасибі - здається, кращим варіантом є велика подяка. Ще є красно дякую – Sassa NF Feb 11 '17 at 21:26

Addressing a cashier in a shop seems to be somewhere between the official communication and the friends' talk.
So your goal is somewhere between the "formal" addressing (long but most accurate) and "rapid speak" (short but rude/sharp sometimes).

В українській мові найбільш уживаними, стилістично нейтральними висловами подяки є: дякую і спасибі, які можуть мати при собі слова, що посилюють вираження вдячності: дуже, сердечне, щиро, красно сердечно, щиро та ін. (source)

So, the answer is, use дякую or спасибі with any emphasis adjectives/adverbs that are compact enough.

Hence, вельми/дуже/щиро дякую seems to be fine, while дякую сердечно/від усього серця looks like an overhead.

All options are good and are used.

I prefer to say Щиро дякую because it is short and sounds very natural in Ukrainian.

I personally dislike спасибі because it's very close to Russian спасибо so it can confuse the partner especially when I have a dialog with a native Russian-speaking person. As it's mentioned in the comment, спасибі is not a transliteration of Russian спасибо and has Kyivan Rus Slavic root.

Два слов’янських слова «спаси боже» в процесі використання злились у цілісність. Сталося це порівняно недавно, у писемних пам’ятках це слово вживається десь з XVI століття поріч із старослов’янським «благодарствую».

Here is more info about спасибі and дякую.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.