I've seen Субатомна частинка and частка. In English Субатомна частинка is Subatomic particle and частка is Grammatical particle. They differ in an adjective but both contain particle which refers either to частка or частинка.

So what's the difference between частинка and частка? Can I use them interchangeably?

2 Answers 2

Well, without considering some some specific cases and actual usage-frequencies for different meanings of these words, only comparing their sets of allowed meanings, it appears that частка has more meanings than частинка.

The generic word частина (not mentioned in your question) has two main meanings, which both are usually translated into English as part (either a physically separated part, or a logical part of something). Additional meanings include part (the largest structural unit) of a book, organization/company division and military division.

The word частинка derives both main meanings of частина — usually meaning small part (because the word частинка is a diminutive from частина). The additional meaning of частинка (comparing to частина) is particle as a minute fragment or quantity of matter.

The word частка has all the meanings that частинка has, and in addition can mean:

• section of a leaf;
  • quotient (division result);
  • grammatical particle.

So theoretically both частинка and частка can be used to refer a subatomic part, although practical usage-frequencies may differ.

References:

"Частинка" and "частка" are both a diminutive form for a word "частина" - "part", as "particle" is a diminutive for "part". https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/-icle.

That is why they're indeed interchangeable. However, as long as we are talking about science, I would recommend a certain standardization to avoid ambiguities. For the sake of effectiveness I would take "частка" as a shorter and more formal one, and use it all over.

In a non-formal language these two words are absolutely interchangeable and you can use both to make it sound richer.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.