I am working on an art project that I would like to collect the hundreds of different transliterations of 「中文」 zhōng wén in Mandarin Chinese. (Pronunciation available here: https://translate.google.com/#zh-CN/de/中文)

How can I transliterate zhōng wén in Ukrainian? (For example, "zhong wen" would be the closest pronunciation in English.)

The standards of Ukrainian language actually follow the Palladius system (Ukr: Система Палладія). Quoting Wikipedia,

The Cyrillization of Chinese is effected using the Palladius system for transcribing Chinese characters into the Cyrillic alphabet.

There are several fine nuances that mostly reflect differences between Russian and Ukrainian, one may find the full list in the Wikipedia page for Система Палладія.

Also, the above page contains a complete list of corresponding syllables between 拼音 and the Ukrainian Cyrillic.

Hence, 中文 would be чжунвень.

• Comments are not for extended discussion; this conversation has been moved to chat. – bytebuster Mar 31 '17 at 22:08
    中文 is one word, therefore its Palladius rendering should be written as one word, too, чжунвень. – Yellow Sky Apr 1 '17 at 6:49

Unfortunately, I don't know Chinese.

I think this is it: Cyrillization of Chinese, another name—the Palladius system (or in our case: adaptation by Kirnosova). Description says that it is for Mandarin Chinese.

So, then zhōng wén would be чжун вень.

But here is problem that many translation based on Russian is not good for Ukrainian because of sensitivity different of phonetic between Ukrainian and Russian. So here is debates or seminars on high level about more correctly transliteration for Ukrainian. If take non-standard transliteration Kirnosova-Tsisar for now then would be джон вень.

The funny thing is, while в is /v/ in Russian, it is /w/ in Ukrainian. So the Palladius Cyrillization of Chinese suits Ukrainian pronunciation more than it does Russian in some cases. – Kevin Li Apr 13 '17 at 12:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.